The Amazon Sword Plant Care is an excellent choice for aquariums, especially larger ones. It has wide leaves that can grow to be 12 inches in length and is very easy to care for.
The Amazon sword plant (Echinodorus bleheri) is a relatively new aquarium plant that's becoming more popular because of its ease of care and attractive appearance.
It's a perennial herb that grows from a rhizome and has wide, strap-like leaves up to 12 inches in length. The plant does best in medium to bright light but can tolerate low light levels if it's acclimated slowly.
The Amazon Sword Plant Care is a good balance of several factors. They are very versatile plants and can do well in a variety of conditions; however, there are some things you should know to ensure that your plant thrives. This article will outline the basics for proper care and upkeep of your Amazon Sword plant.
Table of Contents
- Amazon Sword Plant Overview
- How To Care For Amazon Sword Plant?
- Lighting Condition
- Where To Keep The Amazon Sword Plant?
- Suitable Temperature For The Growth Of Amazon Sword Plant
- pH level Required For The Proper Growth Of Amazon Sword Plant
- Feeding Requirements For Amazon Sword Plant
- Filter Systems Required For Avoiding Clogging Of The Substrate
- Watering Amazon Sword Plant
- Soil Prefered For Amazon Sword Plant
- Fertilizer Used For The Proper Growth Of Amazon Sword Plant
- Propagation Of Amazon Sword Plant
- How To Repot Amazon Sword Plant?
- Aquariums Suitable For Amazon Sword Plant
- What Should Be The Tank Size For The Proper Growth Of Amazon Sword Plant?
- Tank Mates Of Amazon Sword Plant
- Algae Problems Faced By Amazon Sword Plant
- Things To Be Kept In Mind While Growing Amazon Sword Plant
- Things To Be Kept In Mind While Purchasing Your Plant
- How To Plant the Amazon Sword Plant?
- Trimming And Pruning Of the Amazon Sword Plant
- The Benefits Of Having Amazon Sword Plant In Your Tank
- Disadvantages Of Having Amazon Sword Plant In Your Tank
Amazon Sword Plant Overview
- Scientific Name- Echinodorus bleheri
- Common Names- Amazon Sword Plant, Echinodorus
- Origin- The Amazon River Basin
- Lighting Needs- Bright light, but can tolerate some lower light levels
- Temperature Needs- Tropical, prefers 75-85 degrees F (24-29 degrees C)
- Watering Needs- Moderate watering needs; do not overwater
- Soil Needs- Prefers a rich, well-draining soil
- Fertilizer Needs- Fertilize every 2 weeks with a high-quality liquid fertilizer
- Propagation- Propagate by dividing the root ball
This plant is a member of the Alismataceae family. The leaves are evergreen and can grow in whorls in the upper portion of the stem; in low light conditions, however, they may spread out along the substrate. This green stem plant has very small white flowers that will become much more apparent under brighter lighting conditions.
The Amazon Sword Plant (Echinodorus amazonicus) is a popular choice for those looking for an easy-to-care-for plant. The Amazon Sword Plant is an extremely low-maintenance and tolerant plant that will look beautiful for years to come.
This long-lived plant can be potted in soil or kept as a decoration in any home or office setting. With a little bit of light, water, and fertilizer, your Amazon Sword Plant will thrive.
When selecting an Amazon Sword Plant, look for one with healthy leaves and a straight stem. Make sure there are no brown spots or rotting at the base, as this could indicate root rot. Avoid plants with wilted leaves or slimy crowns, which are signs of overwatering.
You should also take care to choose a plant with many young leaves and short internodes, as an older plant will be more difficult to care for.
The Amazon Sword Plant is a great addition to any aquarium, as it provides many benefits for both the fish and the environment. Not only does it add oxygen to the water and help to break down waste products.
The Amazon Sword Plant is a beautiful tropical plant that can be used to decorate your fish tank. It also has some great benefits for your fish, such as providing oxygen and helping to filter the water.
How Does Amazon Sword Plant Look Like?
Amazon Sword Plant has a very basic look to them, and it's easy to see why they are so popular. The leaves can be anywhere from 1–3 inches tall with a single green color that usually has a lighter shade towards the bottom of the plant.
- Echinodorus bleheri from South America is undemanding and beautiful, and becomes...
- A nutritious bottom promotes growth, but the plant needs pruning to prevent it...
- Echinodorus bleheri does well even in poorly illuminated aquariums, as it grows...
Amazon Sword Plant grows upright, but some may have a slightly slouched look. The leaves are usually sword-shaped, but they can be more rounded at the ends if there is enough light.
One good thing about this plant's looks is that it stays consistent. Unlike many plants, Amazon Sword Plant does not have any distinct markings on the leaves to signify changes in season or different types of care.
The Amazon Sword Plant Care is a beautiful, medium-sized plant that has dark green leaves. The leaves are about two to four inches long and barely have any stem. They are very thick along the edges with small white spots.
Size And Growth Rate of Amazon Sword Plant
This plant can grow up to a foot tall, and the leaves can get up to six inches long. The growth rate is moderate, so you don't have to worry about it taking over your tank in a hurry. However, with good care, this plant can reach its full size within a few months.
This plant does grow slightly faster than others, but it will generally not get more than three feet in height. However, most of these plants stop growing at around 18 inches and remain that size for their entire lives.
The Amazon Sword Plant spread, and the roots can easily be cut to help control this; however, most people choose to leave them alone so they can cover the entire surface of the water. When this happens, it is very beautiful to see the reflection in the water created by all of these plants together.
How To Care For Amazon Sword Plant?
The Amazon Sword Plant is a great plant to grow if you are just starting. They are very easy to care for and can tolerate a variety of conditions.
The Amazon Sword Plant Care will depend to a certain degree on the amount of light it receives. In general, it prefers bright light but can tolerate some lower light levels.
- 🐠【Ultra Bright Led Light】this aquarium led light is DC12V/9W, 5730 large...
- 🐠【Adjustable Brackets】the fish tank light comes with 2 metal and 2...
- 🐠【3 Light Color Modes】this aquarium light has 3 light modes: White LEDS,...
- 🐠【Brightness & Timing】 you can adjust the light brightness from 100% to...
If the plant does not get enough light, the leaves will start to turn yellow. If you are keeping your plant in a low-light environment, you may need to supplement with artificial light.
Where To Keep The Amazon Sword Plant?
This plant does not need any special lighting, and you can place it wherever you want in your tank. However, some things should be noted on its placement.
You do need to consider how tall the plant will eventually get and make sure that it will not grow out of your tank. This is especially important when you put it in a small tank and allow it to grow too high.
You also need to think about your lighting schedule when placing the plant. If you regularly have bright lights on your aquarium, this plant will not do well because of its low light tolerance.
If the leaves of the plant start to turn yellow, you could try increasing the frequency or strength of the light. However, you should still avoid high-intensity lighting because it can burn your plant or cause other damage that may not be reversible.
Suitable Temperature For The Growth Of Amazon Sword Plant
As a tropical plant, the Amazon Sword Plant Care prefers temperatures in the range of 75-85 degrees F (24-29 degrees C).
- 🐠【Durable Explosion-proof Quartz Glass Aquarium Heater】- JamgoZoo 200W...
- 🐠【Safety Guarantee】- With anti-dry heating protection and overheating...
- 🐠【Precise and Constent Temperature Control】- The temperature tolerance is...
- 🐠【External Smart HD Controller】- Press the button to set the temperature...
If the temperature falls outside of this range, the plant may start to suffer. Make sure to keep an eye on the temperature and take appropriate measures to keep it within the preferred range.
pH level Required For The Proper Growth Of Amazon Sword Plant
The Amazon Sword Plant Care is quite versatile when it comes to pH levels. It can grow in a range from 6.0-8.0; however, it does best in the lower end of the range (lower 6s to mid 7s).
- Contains one (1) API PH TEST KIT 250-Test Freshwater Aquarium Water pH Test Kit,...
- Helps monitor and adjust pH and prevent invisible water problems that can be...
- Accurately reads pH 6.0 - 7.6 and helps avoid fish loss
- Because different geographies have different tap water conditions, and different...
Feeding Requirements For Amazon Sword Plant
The Amazon Sword Plant Care requires very little feeding. The leaves of this plant are thick and provide a lot of energy, so there is no need to feed any additional nutrients. If you do feed your fish, the food will probably end up in the plant, and it won't need any additional fertilizer.
Filter Systems Required For Avoiding Clogging Of The Substrate
If you are using a filter system, keep in mind that this plant grows pretty quickly. Keep the flow rate of your filter below 800 gph.
This not only helps protect the plant but also helps to prevent frequent clogging of the substrate that can occur with higher flow rates.
Watering Amazon Sword Plant
With this plant, there is a delicate balance between having too much and too little water. It prefers moist substrate but does not like to be sitting in water. When you first receive your plant, it should have some standing water in the pot from being freshly potted.
If you pour out any excess after unpacking, be sure to monitor the soil moisture carefully and water when it starts to feel dry. Do not overwater, as this can lead to root rot.
Soil Prefered For Amazon Sword Plant
- Fluval Stratum is made of mineral rich volcanic soil
- Stimulates strong aquarium plant growth
- Promotes neutral to mildly acidic pH
- Suitable for live plants or shrimp
The Amazon Sword Plant Care will also depend on the quality of the soil. It prefers a rich, well-draining soil; if the soil is too dense or does not drain well, the roots may rot. You can improve the drainage of your soil by adding sand or perlite to it.
Fertilizer Used For The Proper Growth Of Amazon Sword Plant
The Amazon Sword Plant Care will grow fine without any additional fertilizer; however, you can feed it liquid fish fertilizer once a month to help boost its growth.
- ORGANIC FISH EMULSION FERTILIZER - Our liquid fish fertilizer is made from...
- GROW NATURAL - This wonderfully organic alternative to synthetic fertilizer...
- ENRICHES SOIL - Helps build a strong foundation for your organic garden to...
- PRODUCE MORE - Get the most out of your fertilizer and your garden! This organic...
Make sure to follow the directions carefully when using liquid fertilizers and only add them when the plants in your tank are not in bloom because fish may be harmed if too much fertilizer is added at one time.
To maintain its health, this plant will need to be fertilized every 2 weeks with a high-quality liquid fertilizer. Fertilize with a balanced fertilizer that has a ratio such as 10-10-10.
Propagation Of Amazon Sword Plant
This plant can be propagated by dividing the root ball. When you re-pot your plant, make sure to divide the root ball into several pieces with a sharp knife or shears. Each piece should have at least one healthy leaf and a good portion of the root system. Replant the pieces in separate pots or discard them; it is up to you.
How To Repot Amazon Sword Plant?
This plant will need to be repotted every year because the older leaves will start to yellow and fall off. Eventually, if your plant gets big enough (which may take a few years), it also might stop creeping across the substrate and start sending up vertical shoots.
When this happens, you can remove the older, yellowing leaves and cut back on the frequency of your waterings. This will encourage it to continue creeping across the soil and keep growing horizontally rather than vertically.
When you re-pot your plant, make sure to divide the root ball into several pieces with a sharp knife or shears. Each piece should have at least one healthy leaf and a good portion of the root system. Replant the pieces in separate pots or discard them; it is up to you.
Aquariums Suitable For Amazon Sword Plant
An Amazon Sword Plant can be used as underwater decor for aquariums but will need to be lifted and rotated every week or two because the current will make it difficult for the plant to receive enough light.
What Should Be The Tank Size For The Proper Growth Of Amazon Sword Plant?
The Amazon Sword Plant Care will grow well in almost any substrate as long as it is kept moist. If you are using the plant underwater, then the size of your tank does not matter at all; however, if you are using above water, then it should be grown in tanks that are anywhere between 10 to 30 gallons.
- 13.5 gallon glass aquarium for saltwater fish
- Stylish honeycomb design conceals rear aquarium filter compartment and...
- Powerful 3 stage filtration with oversized mechanical, chemical, and biological...
- Multifunctional canopy with easy feed door
The delicate balance between too much and not enough water is something to be constantly aware of when caring for an Amazon Sword Plant. It prefers moist substrate but does not like to be sitting in water.
When you first receive your plant, it should have some standing water in the pot from being freshly potted. If you pour out any excess after unpacking, be sure to keep the soil moist (but not wet) for the first week or so; after that, you can back off on the watering a bit. Overwatering can lead to root rot.
Tank Mates Of Amazon Sword Plant
When choosing tank mates, keep in mind that the Amazon Sword Plant will reach out for other plants and will try to take their light, so it is best not to combine this plant with other fast-growing plants.
It can be grown with other plants as long as they are not too needy; this plant does not like to share its space or resources. You should avoid using this plant as a community tank with any fish that likes to dig at the substrate, as they may uproot it.
Algae Problems Faced By Amazon Sword Plant
An Amazon Sword Plant is not particularly prone to algae problems if it is given enough light and good water conditions; however, if you are having problems with algae, you can try using a toothbrush to brush off the leaves.
- Controls algae growth
- Will not harm Fish or Plants
- For freshwater tanks
You can also use a small amount of Algaefix (available at most pet stores) to help get rid of the algae.
Things To Be Kept In Mind While Growing Amazon Sword Plant
The leaves of the Amazon Sword Plant can be rinsed off with a gentle stream of water every week or two to help remove any built-up toxins or excess food. You can also use a soft toothbrush to get in between the leaves and remove any dirt or residue.
If you are looking for a low-maintenance living artifact that will last years in the home or office, then an Amazon Sword Plant may be just what you need! This plant can grow up to 12 inches in height in aquariums and up to 16 inches in soil under the right conditions. It is a great beginner plant for those who are new to plants because it requires little light, fertilizer, or attention.
Things To Be Kept In Mind While Purchasing Your Plant
- Look for a firm, straight stem with no brown spots or rotting at the base, which would indicate the existence of root rot.
- Choose a plant with many young leaves and short internodes, which indicates a younger age. A plant with older leaves will be harder to care for. Also, the older a plant gets, the less compact it becomes because it tends to grow wider rather than taller. This may or may not be what you are looking for, so be sure to take this into account when selecting your plant
- Make sure the leaves are not wilted and the crown (the area where the leaves meet the stem) is not slimy, which are both signs of overwatering
- Avoid plants with brown or black spots on the leaves as these are indicative of a disease
- Ensure that your plant is not shriveled up, which can indicate a lack of water.
- When you have decided on a plant, take it to the checkout counter and ask them to cut off about an inch from the top to ensure that no pests are hiding in the leaves. This will also remove any possible residue on the leaves from pesticides.
How To Plant the Amazon Sword Plant?
- Fill a pot with soil that is well-draining, such as cactus mix or potting mix specifically for water plants
- Gently remove the plant from its container and loosen the soil around the roots
- Place the plant in the pot and fill in around the roots with more soil
- Water thoroughly and place in a location that receives bright, indirect light
- Fertilize with a balanced liquid fertilizer every 2-3 weeks
- Repot annually or when the plant becomes root-bound
- Cut off any dead leaves or stems as needed
- When potting a new Amazon Sword Plant, be sure to leave room for it to grow. The plant can become quite large, so plan on repotting it every year or so. You will also need to fertilize it periodically to ensure healthy growth.
Trimming And Pruning Of the Amazon Sword Plant
- Water the plant thoroughly and let it drain before you begin
- Use a sharp pair of pruning shears to make clean cuts close to the main stem at a 45-degree angle
- Remove leaves from the bottom two-thirds of the plant to encourage growth closer to the top
- You can cut off older leaves that are not doing well or have been damaged
- Remove any dead stems or leaves as needed
When pruning an Amazon Sword Plant, it is important to make clean cuts and remove any diseased foliage. Be careful not to cut off too many leaves at once, as this will stress the plant. You should only need to trim the plant once every few months.
- PREMIUM QUALITY - Our aquarium aquascaping tools are forged by stainless steel...
- MULTIFUNCTION - Great for All Types of Aquarium Plants, Substrate, Gravel, and...
- NECCESSITY - Segarty serves as the best utensil for those expertise water plants...
- CONVENIENT FOR YOU - It works wonders for aquatic pruning, rearranging,...
When you bring your Amazon Sword Plant home, cut off about one inch from the top before placing it into its permanent location. This will remove any residue on the
The Amazon Sword Plant does not require much trimming, but you can prune it to maintain its shape or remove any dead leaves or stems. When pruning, use sharp scissors and cut just above a node (the point where a leaf stem meets the main stem). Make sure to disinfect your scissors with rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide between cuts.
The Benefits Of Having Amazon Sword Plant In Your Tank
Following are the benefits of having it in your tank.
- Greenery- Having live plants in your fish tank provides a natural and beautiful environment for your fish while also adding oxygen to the water.
- Biological filtration- Plants play a vital role in aquarium filtration by helping to break down waste products and removing harmful toxins from the water.
- Natural decoration- Plants can add interest and beauty to your fish tank. Having live plants can also help to give the illusion of a larger space.
- Hiding places- Plants provide hiding places for fish which allows them to feel secure and comfortable in their environment.
- Health benefits for fish- Some plants have been shown to reduce stress, anxiety, and aggression in fish.
- Educational value- Plants can teach children about the life cycle of a plant, the importance of oxygen in the water, and the role that plants play in an aquarium ecosystem.
- Aesthetics- Plants can improve the appearance of an aquarium and make it more pleasing to look at.
- Biological diversity- Having plants in an aquarium can help to create a more natural and biologically diverse environment.
- Cost-effective- Live plants are a cost-effective way to decorate and improve the health of your fish tank.
Disadvantages Of Having Amazon Sword Plant In Your Tank
Following are the disadvantages of having it in your tank.
- Maintenance- Plants require regular maintenance in the form of trimming, pruning, and occasional fertilizing.
- Aquatic pests- Plants can be a breeding ground for aquatic pests such as algae and snails.
- Algal growth- Excessive algal growth can be harmful to plants and fish and can be difficult to control.
- Requires good lighting- Plants need a lot of light to grow and thrive. If your tank does not have enough light, you may need to supplement it with artificial light.
- Can be expensive- Some plants can be quite expensive, depending on the variety.
- Requires CO2 supplementation- Many plants require CO2 supplementation to grow properly. If you are not providing enough carbon dioxide for your plants, they will not thrive.
- May require additional filtration- Some plants can be difficult to grow and may need water that is rich in nitrates and phosphates, requiring the use of a special filter.
- Pollute the tank- Can die and rot and pollute your tank water if not properly cared for-Dead plants will begin to decompose which will cause ammonia levels to rise and can potentially lead to the death of your fish.
Adding an Amazon Sword Plant to your aquarium can provide many benefits for both you and your fish. It is a beautiful and low-maintenance plant that helps to oxygenate the water and break down waste products. This plant can grow up to 12 inches in height in aquariums and up to 16 inches in soil under the right conditions.
It is a great beginner plant. It also provides hiding places for fish, improves the aesthetics of the aquarium. If you are looking for a plant that requires very little light, less fertilizer, and almost no maintenance, then an Amazon Sword Plant may be perfect for you!